This document is a collection of Frequently Asked Questions related to WordPress sites hosted at Geneseo.
Please do not alter the names of provided section headers nor change the template's default font family or sizes. Delete optional ones that are not used. Create additional headings as appropriate with Heading 1 format.
Before You Start
This section is optional. Use bulleted list when necessary.
- Geneseo-hosted WordPress sites can be found at WordPress hosted by SUNY Geneseo. This document refers to these sites. Unfortunately, we are not able to support WordPress sites hosted elsewhere.
- SUNY Geneseo faculty and staff may request a campus-hosted WordPress website, provided it falls within the guidelines for acceptable use at CIT Policies. Students may request a WordPress website if the intended use is for a recognized student organization. For more information, visit the WordPress Services Policy.
- To request a WordPress site or for assistance with an existing site, submit a JIRA ticket.
- All WordPress site owners must complete web accessibility training. Enroll for the accessibility training here.
Adding Additional geneseo.edu Users to your WP Site cv
- Ask the Geneseo user to log in to your WP site using the "Sign in with CAS" button at your site's login page. If your site is at https://wp.geneseo.edu/my-awesome-site, the user should log in to https://wp.geneseo.edu/my-awesome-site/wp-login.php. They will receive a permission error, which is expected. This step is necessary to create the user authorization request.
- In your WordPress site dashboard, select Users and then Add Existing.
- Enter the user's Geneseo email address and select the role you would like them to have.
- The user will receive an email with a link they must click to confirm their role in your site.
- External email accounts must be created by CIT. Please submit a JIRA ticket for assistance.
How often will WordPress and plug-in updates be applied?
WP will be patched monthly, unless we are aware of a critical security vulnerability.
Can I use my own non-geneseo.edu domain? e.g. artificial-banana.org
Oops! I screwed up one of my pages. Can you restore it to an earlier version?
The WordPress system backup is not site specific. We cannot recover individual pages. We are currently exploring backup plugins for individual sites.
Can site owners add external emails to be administrators or editors?
Yes. Please submit a JIRA ticket for assistance.
Will you install this great plugin I found?
We would be happy to explore if the plugin you found is compatible with our installation. A technical team comprised of CIT, Library, and Digital Communications staff review and approve plugin and theme requests. Please submit a JIRA ticket for assistance.
I would like to use this fantastic cat meme theme. Can I install it?
At this time, we are not adding additional themes. Please submit a JIRA ticket to discuss further.
Can you help me copy my external WordPress site to Geneseo hosting?
We are currently not able to offer assistance importing existing WordPress sites.
It looks like I can add iframe content to my page, but when I save it the content disappears?
This is a known configuration restriction in place on our multi-site installation. As of summer 2019, we are exploring plug-in options that may permit editors to add iframe content.
What are my options for linking to my new blog from my web page?
- The simplest option is to add a link (e.g. https://wp.geneseo.edu/naturewriting/)
Add HTML code to your Drupal page:
<p><iframe frameborder="0" height="600px" scrolling="yes" src="https://wp.geneseo.edu/naturewriting/" title="The blog for Tesla House living community" width="100%"></iframe></p>
The url within the scr="____" section can be changed to whatever page you want. The height and weight options can be adjusted by pixel size or percentage size to fit the page. Providing a title and including frameborder="0" are necessary for accessibility issues.
WordPress Support Site
This section is optional. Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. You must click to edit the macro and add or change labels.
WordPress Services Policy
Replace owner (Area) and reviewed by with information appropriate to this article. Also set the review date to the date the page was created.
|Owner (area)||Educational Technology|