These directions will help you setup access to Geneseo's encrypted 802.1x wireless networks on Windows 8 computers
Before You Start
Windows 8 has an interface called Metro that is designed for touchscreen computers and handhelds. Because of this, you must move your mouse/trackpad pointer or finger to a corner of the screen for certain items to appear.
- Move your pointer to the upper- or lower-right corner without clicking to bring up the Charms menu. You may also swipe from the right with your finger.
- Select the Settings charm.
- From Settings, click the Wi-Fi icon above Notifications. If there are available wireless networks but your computer has not connected to any of them, the Wi-Fi icon will read "Available" underneath.
- Select the Wi-Fi icon to bring up a list of networks in the area.
- Windows will display a list of available wireless networks. Select the "eduroam" network.
- Click or tap Connect to access the network. Enter your Geneseo email address and Password when prompted. Your username is your entire email address, ie. email@example.com.
- You will then be prompted to accept the authentication server's certificate to initiate encryption. This keeps your information safe. Always click Connect so your computer may access the network.
Still Need Help?
Ask CIT! Call, chat, or submit a request and we'll be happy to assist you.