Google forms collects survey results and presents a summary of results by displaying a table of all survey results in one view. However, for some surveys, particularly those with long form answers, they are easier to present when all of the results are displayed on a single page per form entry. This document explains how to use Microsoft word to create a document that will display all your form results for easy presentation.
- Export Google spreadsheet as an Excel file File > Download As > Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (.xls).
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- Go to Tools > Mail Merge Manager
- Create New > Form letters
- Get list > Open Data Source… Navigate to the downloaded .xls file from step 1. You may get a warning that the file needs to be converted and may pose a security risk, but since we know where this file came from, we can safely click OK to continue. You will also need to click OK when asked which sheet and workbook you want to open The defaults are OK.
- Under the “Insert Placeholders” you should now see the header names (which are your truncated questions from the Google form). You can drag these into the Word document and they will be replaced by each person’s response. You also can type your own text into the document which will be the same on each page. It is a good idea to put the questions into the document above each response.
- You can click the << ABC >> button under preview results to show what the page will look like with your results at any time and use the arrows to look at different rows of the spreadsheet.
- When you are done, you can merge to a new document or to a printer to get each entry displayed in a single document (use save to PDF from the print dialogue to get a PDF output suitable for emailing or archiving).
- Save the Word file when you are done.
- If you get more results later, you can download a new Excel spreadsheet and replace the old one. Your Word document will automatically use the new Excel file.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.