Understanding Faculty/Staff Accounts and Digital Resources
It is critical for new faculty & staff members to have an account with access to various online digital resources prior to the start of their courses. Some of those resources include:
- Email – communicating with peers and students.
- Knightweb – class rosters, communicating with students, submitting grades.
- Canvas – Online tool used to aid and support classroom instruction. Course materials (syllabus, assignments, online exams, gradebook, class “chatroom” for communication with instructor or peers).
- myGeneseo – Links to many resources (including “single sign-on”).
- Network file and print resources – Printing, accessing departmental file resources, backing up personal computer.
- Many others including: campus wiki (collaborative work), online book catalog (entering course book lists), etc.
Geneseo’s Process for Acquiring Digital Resources for Faculty/Staff
What needs to be done before CIT can create an employee account?
- Appointment form (GER) completed and submitted to HR.
- HR calls Employee to get SSN and DOB.
- Once HR has GER, SSN, and DOB the employee are then added into SUNY system. HR does these daily.
- Note: For CAS employees, CAS often enters HR information at the same time as they submit the account request. CAS does their own HR work.
- Accounts can be created 1-2 days business days after employee is added. We receive updates from SUNY HR nightly. (Sometimes it takes 2 days for the employee to show up in our feed depending on how late in the day things are entered).
- The hiring academic department notifies the Registrar’s office with the new faculty member’s teaching assignments.
- The Registrar’s office enters the employee as a faculty member in Banner, provides them with Knightweb access, and assigns them to courses.
- The Registrar’s office (Emily Cooper) provides the hiring academic department with the new faculty member’s Geneseo Id ("GID") and pin. The GID is used to log into Knightweb.
- NOTE: The communication piece back to the hiring academic department is fairly new.
- Faculty should be advised to change their PIN when they first log in.
Typical Causes of Delay
- Employee does not return the signed appointment letter promptly and/or the Employee Information Form is not complete.
- Account request forms are submitted late.
- Employee receives appointment letter late.
- Employee does not respond to HR request for SSN and DOB.
Things You Can Do to Expedite the Process
- Stress to employee importance of responding to HR request for SSN and DOB.
- Submit account request forms to CIT early in the process.
- Notify the Registrar’s office of teaching assignments as soon as they are confirmed.