Connecting your Windows 7 notebook to SUNY Geneseo's Encrypted Wireless Network
These directions will help you setup access to Geneseo's encrypted 802.1x wireless network.
- Select Control Panel from the Start Menu. (Picture)
- Click on Network and Internet in the Control Panel window. (Picture)
- Click on Network and Sharing Center and choose Manage wireless networks in the task list on the left. (Picture)
- Click on the Add button. (Picture)
- Click on Manually create a network profile. (Picture
- Complete the fields, matching the picture below. The Network name must be SUNY Geneseo, the Security type must be WPA2-Enterprise, and the Encryption type should be AES. Click Next.
- Select Change connection settings before connecting to the new network.
- Click on the Security tab to get additional options. (Picture)
- Ensure your settings match the picture below and then click on the Settings... button.
- Ensure all your settings match the picture below, uncheck the Validate server certificate option and click on the Configure... button.
- If your computer is a member of the SUNY Geneseo Windows Domain, enable the option to Automatically use my Windows logon... and then click OK.
If your computer is NOT a member of the SUNY Geneseo Windows Domain (most personal computers in ResNet are not) then disable the option to Automatically use my Windows logon... and then click OK.(Picture)
- Click OK and Close on any windows left open, saving all your changes and settings.
For notebook computers belonging to the SUNY Geneseo Windows Domain, you are finished.
For notebook computers that do not belong to the SUNY Geneseo Windows Domain (most personal computers in ResNet), you will see a Popup Bubble appear when your computer attempts to connect to the wireless network. Click on the bubble. (Picture)
Enter your standard Windows username and password, using GENESEO as the Logon domain, and you will be able to connect to the encrypted wireless network. (Picture)
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk. Stop by Milne Library, visit our online service desk, or call 585-245-5588.