All geneseo.edu users have a basic Zoom subscription. The main limitations of a basic zoom account are:
- Meetings limited to 100 participants.
- 40 minute meeting limit (1-to-1 meetings can have an unlimited duration).
- No Dial-in numbers for meetings.
Business plans add these features:
- Participants increased up to 300.
- Unlimited length meetings.
- Dial-in numbers.
for details and full feature list of zoom plans please see zoom.us/plans
We have a very limited number of Business accounts that we are using for remote interviews as part of college searches, large cross-functional meetings such as WIG, Cabinet, and the College Senate. To request a Zoom license please submit a request, we will review the need and see if we can accommodate your request. We recommend Google Hangouts Meet for most meetings.
- Lectures (synchronous or asynchronous) by faculty -- use Blackboard Collaborate within Canvas or Google Hangouts Meet
- Department meetings -- use Google Hangouts Meet
- Office Hours -- Blackboard Collaborate (one class) or Google Hangouts Meet
- One on one meetings with employees -- Google Hangouts Meet
Avoid "Zoombombing" by limiting who can present in large meetings.
Manage your particpants: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004834466-Managing-Participants-in-Webinar
What happens if I paid for a subscription with my geneseo.edu account?
Once you sign in with your Geneseo.edu account you will have to join our domain and Zoom will refund the credit card the remaining balance of your zoom subscription. You may subscribe to Zoom with a non-Geneseo email address to purchase a pro plan. You can then change the email associated with your account to a personal email address. This will let you keep all your scheduled meetings. See this zoom article for more information.
What alternatives are there?
Google Hangouts Meet is great for department meetings and other multi-person meetings. You can easily add a Google Hangouts Meet to any meeting in google calendar with a few clicks. Google Hangouts supports participants up to 250, no meeting length limits, and provides dial-in numbers for all attendees.
For classes, we recommend Blackboard Collaborate within Canvas.
How can I change my Zoom background?
Change your virtual background: Show your Geneseo colors with one of these backgrounds.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.