What is System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
System Center Configuration Manager, the flagship systems management product from Microsoft, is a comprehensive management solution for computer systems utilizing Microsoft Windows operating systems. With Configuration Manager, IT technicians proactively manage the entire lifecycle of all Windows-powered devices. This includes deploying and maintaining systems and software, responding to security threats, distributing settings, and analyzing inventory data.
Features of SCCM
SCCM allows CIT to build customized installations of software, operating system images, and configurations that can be repeated across multiple desktop systems or entire labs. This process provides consistency, simplifies desktop management, and reduces overall administrative costs while providing the flexibility necessary to meet the diverse needs of the campus environment.
- Provide the initial installation of an operating system and/or software on a new machine
- Push software, patches, configurations, and updates to individual machines or groups of machines
- Rebuild a system that has been compromised
- Run reports
- Hardware and software inventories
- Computer details
- Network information
- Software deployment status
- Virus/Malware infections and status
- Disk space
What benefits does a client receive from SCCM?
- Reliability: Your device will quickly receive software updates and patches with little to no interaction on your part.
- Time Efficiency: You will stay more productive as deployment and updating processes run in the background, freeing up more time for teaching, research and management.
- Flexibility: You can choose when and where to install new software or run maintenance on your device through Self-service portals (Software Center).
- Security: IT Technicians will manage the security of your machine so you don't have to. You can rest assured that software patches, antivirus protection, and firewalls are well maintained.
What devices does SCCM support?
Generally, System Center Configuration Manager supports all recent versions of Microsoft Windows including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
What changes does the installation of SCCM make to a PC?
SCCM installs the agent to your PC. The agent runs in the background and will not interfere with the operation of your computer. Additionally, Configuration Manager installs the Software Center application and the Configuration Manager control panel object.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.