When students use LockDown Browser to access an exam in myCourses, they are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading. For a complete list of features, visit the Respondus website at Respondus Lockdown Browser.
The Student Quick Start Guides for LockDown Browser are available at Lockdown Browser Resources. Our license with Respondus, Inc. does NOT permit instructors or students to obtain support directly from Respondus, Inc. If CIT is unable to solve a particular question or problem, we will contact Respondus, Inc. on your behalf.
You must be on a robust network connection to take an exam in Canvas. Do not rely on public wifi in places such as airports, coffee shops, and hotels. Failure to establish a reliable connection will not be accepted as an excuse for missed or incomplete exams. Plan ahead!
Installing LockDown Browser on your personal computer
- Make sure your laptop meets the Campus minimum configuration requirements and LockDown Browser System Requirements
- Install the LockDown browser from this link: Lockdown Browser Download. If you need help installing software, please take your laptop to the CIT HelpDesk.
- Launch the LockDown browser and log in with your Geneseo account credentials. Use the “Check for Update” feature to ensure you are running the most recent version of LockDown Browser.
Taking a Secure Quiz or Assessment with LockDown browser
- Before launching the LockDown browser to take your assessment, quit all other programs. It is important that you do not force quit applications, as you may lose unsaved work.
- If you are on campus, make sure you are logged into the eduroam wireless network and not the Geneseo Guest network. (Wireless at Geneseo)
- If you are off campus, VPN is not required.
- When you launch the LockDown browser, log in with your Geneseo account credentials. Before taking an assessment, use the “Check for Update” feature to ensure you are running the most recent version of LockDown Browser. You should also run diagnostics to ensure your network connection is good.
- Navigate to the course and the Quiz to begin.
- If your exam requires the use of a webcam (sometimes referred to as Respondus Monitor), you'll be guided through a brief set of screens prior to the start of the exam.
- If you encounter a problem, click the Help Center link where you can troubleshoot issues.
During a timed assessment, do NOT press the delete or backspace key after acknowledging the time limit warning. Proceed with completing and submitting the assessment.
Alternate Keyboards for Languages & Literatures Quizzes
If you are taking a secure quiz for a language class, Respondus recommends that students change their keyboard layout per this article: Accents For Languages and Multiple Language Keyboards.
- Directions for Windows 10
- Directions for MacOS
- Use the Keyboard Viewer to help learn your new keyboard layout
- Amazon.com has several keyboard covers available for your laptop – consider making this small investment to improve your typing skills
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide