When students use LockDown Browser to access an exam in myCourses, they are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, or access other applications. Once an assessment is started, students are locked into it until it’s submitted for grading. For a complete list of features, visit the Respondus website at www.respondus.com/ldb .
The Student Quick Start Guides for LockDown Browser are available at www.respondus.com/ldb-guides. Our license with Respondus, Inc. does NOT permit instructors or students to obtain support directly from Respondus, Inc. If CIT is unable to solve a particular question or problem, we will contact Respondus, Inc. on your behalf.
Installing LockDown Browser on your personal computer
- Make sure your laptop meets the Campus minimum configuration requirements and LockDown Browser System Requirements
- Install the LockDown browser from this link: http://respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=136847010
- Launch the LockDown browser and log in with your Geneseo account credentials. Use the “Check for Update” feature to ensure you are running the most recent version of LockDown Browser.
Taking a Secure Quiz or Assessment with LockDown browser
- Before launching the LockDown browser to take your assessment, quit all other programs. It is important that you do not force quit applications, as you may lose unsaved work.
- If you are on campus, make sure you are logged into the SUNY Geneseo wireless network and not the Geneseo Guest network. (Wireless at Geneseo)
- If you are off campus, VPN is not required
- When you launch the LockDown browser, log in with your Geneseo account credentials. Before taking an assessment, use the “Check for Update” feature to ensure you are running the most recent version of LockDown Browser.
- If prompted, select the Learning Management System your professor is using (Canvas).
- Navigate to the Secure Quiz/Assessment to begin.
- If your exam requires the use of a webcam (sometimes referred to as Respondus Monitor), you'll be guided through a brief set of screens prior to the start of the exam.
- If you encounter a problem, click the Help Center link where you can troubleshoot issues.
During a timed assessment, do NOT press the delete or backspace key after acknowledging the time limit warning. Proceed with completing and submitting the assessment.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, visiting us in Milne Library, or visiting our online service desk.