You won’t see a button for this on your screen, and it’s not mentioned in any of the Canvas guides.
- From within your Canvas course, go to the URL area of your browser and look for the course ID number. This is the number that comes after the “https://canvas.geneseo.edu/courses/"
- Once you’ve located the course ID number, remove everything in the address following it except for the backslash (/) and type in the word “undelete.” The new url will look something like this:
- Press Return.
- A series of recently deleted items will appear and give you the option to restore!
When we tried this trick to recover a deleted quiz, not only did the quiz reappear, but all of the students’ submissions and their corresponding scores reappeared as well. Amazing!
There are a few caveats to using this command:
- It is not fully supported and does not work 100% of the time.
- Only the last 25 items will show up on the restore list.
- If you restore a quiz that had student submissions, you need to make sure to restore the assignment as well, or else the submissions will not be restored.
Related Self Help Guides
Submitting a Turnitin Assignment — You can submit Turnitin assignments directly in Canvas. Turnitin measures assignment originality and indicates what percent of your assignment matches internet sources.
Using Geneseo Outcomes for Assessment — This guide was created in collaboration with Melanie Blood, Interim Associate Provost for Assessment and Curriculum. For questions regarding the assessment process at Geneseo, please contact her office directly.
Turnitin Originality and Plagiarism Service — Turnitin is an originality and plagiarism service that is available for faculty and students directly in our Learning Management System – Canvas.
Assignments with Canvas Rubrics and Turnitin Originality Checking — This guide provides information for faculty who want to utilize the Turnitin originality and plagiarism service with a Canvas rubric.
Creating a Turnitin Assignment (Geneseo Guide) — Turnitin is an originality and plagiarism service that is available for faculty and students directly in Canvas. This guide will provide the basics to help you get started with creating a Turnitin assignment in your course(s).
The "Undelete" Trick in Canvas — Did you delete an assignment or quiz in Canvas? Do you regret it? This guide will help you recover it.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide