Write an essay of approximately 1250 words (equivalent of about 5 double-spaced pages) on one of the following topics.
- the narrator as character in Oliver Twist
- scenic presentation and the reader in Oliver Twist
- geography and destiny in Oliver Twist
- the families of Oliver Twist
- clothing as metaphor in Oliver Twist and Sartor Resartus
- happiness in Mill's Autobiography and Oliver Twist
Compose your essay in Google docs and share it with me, or compose it in your favorite word processor, upload it to Google docs, and share it with me. Share your essay between February 16 and February 23 (no later than 11:59 p.m. on February 23).
For an essay of 5-7 pages, choose one of the works on the syllabus (other than Oliver Twist and Sartor Resartus) and, using the MLA database, find an article written on that work within the past 10 years that says something with which you disagree. Briefly summarize the article (with a minimum of quotation) then explain how and why you disagree with it. Support your argument with evidence. Share your essay between April 20 and April 27 (no later than 11:59 p.m. on April 27).