In the spring of 2012, students in ANTH 100 will collaborate with students in CHEM 304 on the topic of diet and nutrition. ANTH 100 students will investigate popular ideas (through surveys of different populations e.g, men versus women, blogs etc ) and scientific research (scholarly and peer-reviewed) on nutrition. CHEM 304 students will serve as peer advisers for scientific research and will conduct peer-reviews of the final projects.
A description of basic ethnographic methods can be found here:
Topics: See "Child Pages" Below
- Class brainstorming session
- Group 1 USDA... Do you know as much as you think you know?
- Group 2 - Diet of Athletes, Public Opinion vs. Scientifically Proven Strategies
- Group 3 - Perceptions and Realities of Coffee Consumption and Health
- Group 4- Weight Watchers
- Group 5 - The Nutrisystem Diet and Its Effects
- Group 6 Fast food, Friend or Foe?
- Group 7- High Fructose Corn Syrup - Societal Beliefs vs. Science
- Group 8- Vitamin Supplements
- Group 9- Perceptions of Vegetarianism vs. Scientific Data
- Group 10 - Veganism Perceptions versus Scientific Research
- Group 11- The Atkins Diet
- Group 12 - Perceptions of Beef Consumptions Between Two Populations
- Group 13. Corn-Fed Cattle, Human and Environmental Impacts
- Group 14 - Organic food
- Group 15 - Genetically Modified Organisms