Due date: March 10
In an essay of approximately 1250 words, written either in the wiki or in Google docs, analyze how multiple readings (at least two) on the syllabus (or off), examine one of the topics below. Evaluate how well the authors make their arguments. Then, offer your own conclusions on your chosen topic, supported by evidence and logic. It's fine to conclude that some matters can't be decided yet, as long as you explain clearly why that's so, and what evidence one would need to reach a decision.
- How the Internet is changing our understanding of the relationship between private self and public self.
- How the Internet is changing our understanding of the relationship between private self and public sphere.
- How the Internet is changing our understanding of "intellectual property."
- How the Internet is changing our understanding of the relationship between human beings and their tools.
- How the Internet is changing our understanding of the literary "text."
If you reference any short readings not on the syllabus, attach or link to them.
How to write your essay in the wiki or Google Docs
To write your essay in the wiki, add a page to your personal space and give it a tentative title. Below the text box where the page's contents go, look for the word Restrictions. Click the "Edit" link next to it, and, if you like, restrict viewing of the page to yourself and me.
To write your essay in Google docs, log in to your Geneseo Google Apps account by going to http://google.geneseo.edu. Find the "Google Docs" link on your iGoogle home page (left navigation bar) and follow it to open a New Document.
Use the sharing settings to share your Google document with firstname.lastname@example.org and anyone else in the class that you'd like to have access to it.
Getting writing advice
For helpful advice on writing, browse the SUNY Geneseo Writing Guide.