Before You Start
- Account standards are added to Canvas centrally by either the provost's office or your departmental assessment coordinator
- Outcomes may be added to an existing assignment or completed by a non-submission assignment
- Outcome results are automatically saved for future reporting
Add outcomes to your course and assignment
- Open the Canvas course where you will use the outcome(s)
- Add the Geneseo outcome(s) to your course
- Click on the Outcomes menu
- Click on the Find button
- Navigate through the folders in the Find Outcomes window. (Account Standards → SUNY Geneseo (GEN) → select preferred group → select desired folder or single outcome to import)
- Click on the Import button
- Repeat steps b., c.. and d. for each outcome or folder
- To add the outcome to an existing assignment:
- Open the assignment, click +Rubric
- Click the Find Outcome button
- Add the Geneseo outcome added in step 2. Before clicking the Import button, determine if the criterion will be used for scoring and check or uncheck the box. (Repeat for each desired outcome)
- If desired, add additional criteria to the rubric. Select appropriate options below the rubric.
- Click Create Rubric
- To create a non-submission assignment:
- Follow the steps in this Canvas Guide: How do I create assignment columns for non-submission assignments in the Gradebook?
- Refer to step 3 to add the outcome(s) to your assignment.
Grading the Assignment
These Canvas Guides provide step-by-step instructions for grading with the rubric you created.
- How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?
- How do I use a non-scoring rubric to assess submissions in SpeedGrader?
How to View Outcomes in the Canvas Gradebook
The Learning Mastery Gradebook has been enabled in all Geneseo courses. Learning Mastery Gradebook provides a way for teachers to quickly view student and course progress on course learning outcomes. Outcomes are presented in a Gradebook-like format and student progress is displayed both as a numerical score and as mastered/near mastery/remedial.
- Click on the Grades menu
- Click on the triangle to the right of the word Gradebook
- Select Learning Mastery....
- The appearance of the gradebook changes, you will be able to see your students' results
Related Self Help Guides
Submitting a Turnitin Assignment — You can submit Turnitin assignments directly in Canvas. Turnitin measures assignment originality and indicates what percent of your assignment matches internet sources.
Using Geneseo Outcomes for Assessment — This guide was created in collaboration with Melanie Blood, Interim Associate Provost for Assessment and Curriculum. For questions regarding the assessment process at Geneseo, please contact her office directly.
Turnitin Originality and Plagiarism Service — Turnitin is an originality and plagiarism service that is available for faculty and students directly in our Learning Management System – Canvas.
Assignments with Canvas Rubrics and Turnitin Originality Checking — This guide provides information for faculty who want to utilize the Turnitin originality and plagiarism service with a Canvas rubric.
Creating a Turnitin Assignment (Geneseo Guide) — Turnitin is an originality and plagiarism service that is available for faculty and students directly in Canvas. This guide will provide the basics to help you get started with creating a Turnitin assignment in your course(s).
The "Undelete" Trick in Canvas — Did you delete an assignment or quiz in Canvas? Do you regret it? This guide will help you recover it.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide