Before You Start
There is a known issue with Turnitin and the MacOS browser Safari. We recommend that students use Chrome for this reason.
Turnitin requires the use of browser cookies. The following error message may be displayed when the Safari web browser privacy setting for "Block Cookies and other Web data" is set to either "Always" or "From third parties and advertisers."
Loading Error: We couldn't carry out that action because you have been logged out. Please log in again from the Turnitin home page.
To resolve the issue, please follow the steps below.
1. Click on the Safari menu and select Preferences.
2. Click on the Privacy tab.
3. Set Block Cookies and other website data to Never.
Note: You may need to close and then re-open your browser window, clear your browser cache, and/or log out and back into Canvas for these settings to take affect. After you are finished using Turnitin, you may revert your privacy settings.
These are the basic steps to submitting a Turnitin assignment. For more details, please visit the Canvas guide located in the Resources section.
- Open the Assignment. It may be located in the Assignments link in the Course Navigation area on the left, or it may be located in the current Module your class is working on.
The assignment description appears at the top of the assignment page. To view additional details for the assignment, including all assignment settings, click the Summary tab.
- To submit your assignment, click the Upload Submission button.
- Select the submission type you want to use for your assignment. You can submit a file upload, input text, or select a file from Google Drive or Dropbox. Your options may be limited by how the faculty has configured the assignment.
- Review the information about your uploaded file, then click the Continue button to preview and accept your file.
- Turnitin validates your entry and prepares it for submission. You can see a preview image of your submission and preview the text.
- To cancel the submission and use a different file, click the Cancel submission button. To accept the submission and save the file for your assignment, click the Accept Submission & Save button.
- View your assignment submission. If you are not allowed to resubmit your assignment, the upload icon will not allow you to upload the assignment again.
- If your instructor allows you to view your originality report, your score may not be available immediately. Please be patient!
Canvas Community Resources
Related Self Help Guides
Submitting a Turnitin Assignment — You can submit Turnitin assignments directly in Canvas. Turnitin measures assignment originality and indicates what percent of your assignment matches internet sources.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide