- Create a new section in your course. (How do I add a section to a course as an instructor?)
- Edit the section to set course start and end dates for this section only. (How do I change the start and end dates for a course section as an instructor?) The box for Students can only participate in the course between these dates must be checked.
- Add the student(s) to the new section. You can also add your Test Student to the section to verify access.
- Go to the People area of your course.
- Click on the gear to the right of the student you want to add to the new section.
- Click on Edit Sections.
- Type the name of your new section (it will auto-complete). Click Update.
- Update quizzes and assignments to include new availability dates for the new section. Do not remove previous settings, as that will remove submissions by all other students.
Related Self Help Guides
Re-open a Completed Course For a Subset of Students to Manage an Incomplete — Allow access to one student (or a small group) to complete work in a Canvas course after the semester has ended.
Geneseo Resources for OSCQR — The Open SUNY Course Quality Review (OSCQR) rubric is a customizable and flexible tool for online course quality review. This Geneseo guide highlights resources needed to ensure the standards are met in your courses.
Creating a Home Page with Auto-open Syllabus Preview — The Course Home Page is the first view your students will see when they enter your course. For the Course Home Page, you can customize a page from your course Pages and have it display as the Course Home Page. You can also include your Syllabus in an auto-open inline preview.
Still Need Help?
Ask CIT! Email us or submit a request and we'll be happy to assist you.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide