Before you start
Geneseo is part of the SUNY Partnership Microsoft Campus Agreement for Microsoft Office. As a Geneseo student, faculty or staff member, you can download and install a free copy of the Microsoft Office suite. (This includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access [available on Windows only], Outlook, and OneNote). You can install Office 365 on up to five computers (macOS or Windows) and up to five mobile devices (smartphones or tablets).
What happens when my account is deleted?
If or when your SUNY Geneseo account is deleted, or you retire, you will need to purchase Microsoft Office on your own. If you choose to let your subscription expire, the Office software applications enter read-only mode, which means that you can view or print existing documents, but you can’t edit them or create new ones. To return to full Office functionality, you can purchase a new version of Office by visiting www.microsoftstore.com. You could also use Office Online for free for basic editing.
Getting a Discount on Office 365
If you're graduating or leaving Geneseo soon, you can purchase an Office 365 license from Geneseo's On the Hub for a reduced price. You must do this before your account is deleted.
Download and Install Office 365 Apps
Follow the installation documentation provided by Microsoft.
- Once downloaded and installed you will need to sign-in with your Geneseo email and password to activate Microsoft Office, no product key required! Simply open one of the Office apps to do so.
How to Use Office 365 Cloud
- Sign-in at www.office.com
- Select Start new or choose the application you want to open.
What to Do When Your Operating System is Not Supported
Microsoft Office 365 supports installation on the following operating system versions:
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 Service Pack 1
- macOS 10.15, 10.14, 10.13 (Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra)
For Students and Faculty/Staff non-Geneseo Computers
If the installer tells you that your operating system is too old, you will need to upgrade your OS to a supported version (preferably the latest version). Both Microsoft and Apple have instructions on how to do so:
- For Windows, you will normally need to purchase Windows 10 in order to upgrade your OS. However, your Geneseo account will allow you to download Windows 10 Education for free from On the Hub. For help installing Windows 10, visit Microsoft's Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq
- For macOS, Apple releases a new major version (10.xx) every year for free. The instructions on how to install the latest version of macOS are found here: https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/
For Faculty/Staff Geneseo Computers
If you have a computer provided by the school, upgrading your OS version depends on what kind of OS you have:
- For Windows, upgrading the Windows 10 build is easy. You can either find the latest build in Software Center or download it from Software at Geneseo. This installation will take some time (around 40 minutes on average), so be sure to run it when you won't need your computer for a bit. If you have Windows 8.1, 8, 7, or older, contact your department's Technology Support Professional (TSP) for assistance.
- For macOS, the latest OS version provided by Geneseo is available for download in Managed Software Center. The installation will take around 40 minutes, so make sure to run it when you won't need your computer immediately.
If you cannot get a supported OS to install, contact your TSP for assistance.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.