Matlab is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran. You can use Matlab in a wide range of applications, including signal and image processing, communications, control design, test and measurement, financial modeling and analysis, and computational biology.
1. Download the .dmg from software.geneseo.edu
2. Double-click the .dmg to open it, then drag MATLAB_R2017a.app into your Applications folder.
3. When the copy is complete, MatLab is fully installed! To open it, double-click the icon in your Applications folder.
Note: if you receive a security prompt saying MatLab "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer," click "OK," right-click (or Control-click) the icon again in Applications, and choose "Open." You will see the same security prompt again, but this time there will be a button to Open the application.
Note: if the above solution still does not allow you to open the application, open System Preferences, choose Security & Privacy, and on the General tab, under "Allow apps downloaded from:", click the radio button for "Anywhere."
1. Download the .zip file from software.geneseo.edu
2. Extract the .zip file
3. In the extracted folder, double-click “Setup”
4. On the installer screen, click the radio button for “Use a File Installation Key”; Click “Next”
5. Accept the license agreement; Click “Next”
6. Click the top radio button, and enter the following key: 35476-43684-37749-48960-21950. Click “Next”
7. Click “Next” to accept the default install path
8. Make sure “License Manager” is NOT selected, the rest of the products are checked, and click “Next”
9. Click “Browse” and navigate back to the folder where you clicked “Setup” in Step 3. Click on network.lic → “Select” → “Next”
10. Click “Next” and then “Install” to complete the install process
The MatLab license file used above simply points the software to the campus license server. This means that this installation, as well as normal operation of Matlab will only work when connected to the campus network. If you are on off-campus user, you will need to install VPN software, available at http://software.geneseo.edu.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, visiting us in Milne Library, or visiting our online service desk.