LimeSurvey is an open-source, free tool for creating surveys that can be easily accessed by a large number of people. If you are creating a survey to conduct research, please remember to follow all IRB guidelines. More information about IRB can be found at Geneseo Institutional Review Board.
Keep in Mind
For simple surveys and submission forms, please use Google Docs. For more information, visit Creating Google Forms
Accounts for creating LimeSurvey are available to all Geneseo account holders. To log into LimeSurvey, go to https://survey.geneseo.edu/admin. If you are not already logged into our CAS single sign on, you will be prompted for your Geneseo username and password.
Creating a Survey - Quick Steps
- Create a new survey.
- Create one or more groups for your survey questions.
- Create one or more question in each group.
- Test your survey.
- Activate your survey.
- Send emails to invite participants.
- Analyze the results of your survey.
Detailed instructions can be found in the LimeSurvey Manual.
LimeSurvey has many additional features that you may be interested in using. Please refer to the official LimeSurvey Documentation.
LimeSurvey currently offers:
- Unlimited number of questions in a survey
- Unlimited number of participants to a survey
- Multi-lingual surveys
- 20 different question types with more to come
- WYSIWYG HTML editor
- Quotas management
- Integration of pictures and movies into a survey
- Creation of a printable survey version
- Conditions for questions depending on earlier answers (Skip Logic / Branching)
- Re-usable editable answer sets
- Ready-made importable questions
- Anonymous and Not-Anonymous survey
- Open and closed group of participant surveys
- Optional public registration for surveys
- Sending of invitations, reminders and tokens by email
- Option for participants to buffer answers to continue survey at a later time
- Cookie or session based surveys
- Template editor for creating your own page layout
- Extended and user-friendly administration interface
- Back-office data entry possibility
- Survey expiry dates for automation
- Enhanced import and export functions to text, CSV, PDF, SPSS, R, queXML and MS Excel format
- Basic statistical and graphical analysis with export facility
- Screen Reader Accessibility
- W3C compliance
Related Self Help Guides
Embedding a Google Form on your Drupal Page — How to embed Google forms on a Drupal page.
Creating Google Forms — How to create Google forms and surveys.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.