In & Outboxes are network folders on the server called 'Files' for faculty and students to share and transfer files. These boxes are set up for professors who have requested them. They are created automatically for academic departments and by request for other campus departments.
Inboxes & Outboxes are a legacy service thus new faculty and staff are not receiving them. They are a very difficult technology for students to use and cit strongly recommends they not be used for receiving or distributing files to students.
Before you Start
- The Inbox is a "drop box" where students have write-only access and can deposit assignments and projects.
Faculty can read all files in their inbox.
Students need to use the Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to connect to the inboxes from off-campus. On campus, students must be on the encrypted wireless network (eduroam). A computer that is only on the Geneseo Guest wireless network will not be able to access the Inboxes.
- The Outbox is a place for faculty to place files that can be read by the students, but not modified or deleted.
- Everyone who has a Geneseo account can read these files and they should be treated as public files.
- Outboxes are also available from the web at https://boxes.geneseo.edu with a Geneseo username and password.
Each January and June, CIT removes files in the Inbox and Outbox that have not been modified in the last 12 months.
Windows access to Inboxes & Outboxes
- Right-click on the Windows 'Start' button and choose 'Run' (Windows 8 & 10) or click on the Windows 'Start' Button and then click in the 'Search programs and files' field (Windows 7).
- To access the inboxes, type \\files.geneseo.edu\inbox and click OK.
- To access the outboxes, type \\files.geneseo.edu\outbox and click OK.
- If your computer is not bound to the Geneseo Domain (ie: non-state owned computers) you will need to provide your username and password. *For username, you may need to type in: geneseo\username
See Accessing Your Files Space From Off Campus or a Personal Computer for more information.
- Double click on your department folder.
- In this folder, you will find personal Inboxes or Outboxes.
MacOS access to Inboxes & Outboxes
- Click the 'Go' menu at the top of your screen.
- Choose 'Connect to Server...'.
- To access the inbox, type in: smb://files.geneseo.edu/Inbox
- To access the outbox, type in: smb://files.geneseo.edu/Outbox
- Click on the 'Connect' button.
- When prompted, type your Geneseo email username and password. *For username, you may need to type in: geneseo\username
- Click on Connect.
- Click on Inbox or Outbox and click OK.
- It will put an icon on your desktop labeled Inbox or Outbox.
- Double click on this icon and find your department.
- Double click on your department folder. Personal boxes are in here.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.