Self Help - In & Out Boxes
In & Out boxes are network folders on the server called 'Files' for faculty and students to share and transfer files. These boxes are set up for professors who have requested them. They are created automatically for academic department and by request for other campus department.
The Inbox is a "drop box" where students have write-only access and can deposit assignments and projects. Faculty can read all files in their inbox. Note: Each January and June, CIT removes files stored in your Inbox that have not been modified in the last 12 months.
Students need to use the Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to connect to the inboxes from off-campus. On campus, students must be on the encrypted wireless network (SUNY Geneseo). If your computer is only on the Geneseo Guest network you will not be able to access the Inboxes.
The Outbox is a place for faculty to place files that can be read by the students, but not modified or deleted. By placing files in your Outbox, everyone who has a Geneseo account can read these files and they should be treated as public files. Outboxes are also available from the web at https://boxes.geneseo.edu with a Geneseo username and password. Note: Each January and June, CIT removes files stored in your Outbox that have not been modified in the last 12 months.
Windows access to In & Out Boxes
- Right-click on the Windows 'Start' button and choose 'Run' (Windows 8) or click on the Windows Start Button and then click in the 'Search programs and files)' field (Windows 7).
- To access the inboxes, type \\files.geneseo.edu\inbox and click OK.
- To access the outboxes, type \\files.geneseo.edu\outbox and click OK.
- If your computer is not bound to the Geneseo Domain (ie: non-state owned computers) you will need to provide your username and password. See Accessing Your Files Space From Off Campus for more information.
- Double click on your department folder.
- In this folder, you will find personal Inboxes or Outboxes.
Mac OS X access to In & Out Boxes
- Click the 'Go' menu at the top of your screen.
- Choose 'Connect to Server ...'.
- To access the inbox, type in: smb://files.geneseo.edu/Inbox
- To access the outbox, type in: smb://files.geneseo.edu/Outbox
- Click on the 'Connect' button.
- When prompted, type your Geneseo e-mail username and password.
- Click on Connect.
- Click on Inbox or Outbox and click OK.
- It will put an icon on your desktop labeled Inbox or Outbox.
- Double click on this icon and find your department.
- Double click on your department folder. Personal boxes are in here.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk. Stop by Milne Library, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 585-245-5588.