CIT strives to assist the campus community with technology needs in keeping with the missions of CIT and SUNY Geneseo as a whole. Our goal is to provide high-quality technical support to Faculty, Staff, and Students. This support will be achieved through excellent communication, up-to-date technical knowledge, cooperation among team members, and proper prioritization.
Support Services is the division of CIT that is responsible for desktop support for faculty, staff, computer labs, and classroom computers, as well as providing assistance to students at the CIT HelpDesk. The Support Services group relies upon each other and works as a team. Each college department is assigned to a specific Technology Support Professional (TSP) and will, under normal circumstances, use the TSP as their primary contact within CIT.
Available Support Services for College-owned Hardware and Software
CIT will provide the following types of support:
- Support functionality of current versions of core applications including:
- Common Web Browsers
- Email tools: Gmail / Mac Mail
- Google Applications for Education
- Microsoft Forefront Security/2012 Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Office
- Macintosh OSX 10.11 and above
- Web Browsers: Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer / Safari
- Windows 8.1 and above
- Set up new computers and transfer work-related files
- Set up peripherals including network printers
- Perform repair triage
- Install properly licensed software
- Maintain and install computing labs on campus
- Install software in computing labs with proper notice and licensing information
- Notify the campus of changes to labs and classrooms via CIT Newsbytes, Twitter, and/or email
- Assist with Technology Request preparation
CIT desktop support staff are unable to provide the following:
- Installation or support of unlicensed software, unpaid shareware, or recreational software
- Support for personally owned equipment
- Content creation (presentations, web pages, posters, etc.)
- Technology accessories (cables, paper, toner, etc.)
- Purchasing of hardware for out-of-warranty repairs on departmental equipment
- Moving assistance of furniture or other hardware
It is the goal of the Support Services Group to provide prompt, professional, courteous service to our customers.
Each department is assigned a TSP, and that person is be the primary contact between the department and CIT for desktop support. Requests should be submitted to CIT by calling the CIT HelpDesk at (585) 245-5588, by visiting the HelpDesk in Milne Library, or through our online Service Desk. Effective use of of our Service Desk will ensure documented communication and coverage during staff absences.
Our goal is to respond to all requests within one business day. During high-volume request times (start of academic year, campus-wide outage or significant upgrade), our response time may stretch to two or more days for non-urgent requests. In the absence of other prioritizing needs, requests will be handled in the order they are received. Problem prioritization is the responsibility of CIT staff members, with oversight from the Support Services Manager. Basic priorities are as follows:
- Teaching Spaces
- Computer Labs
- Faculty and Staff Computers
- Research Computers
- Emeriti of the College
It is important to remember that some requests involve other groups within CIT, or even departments outside CIT (such as Facilities Services). Our staff will put forth every effort to handle such issues in a timely fashion.
Research Computer Support
CIT recognizes the importance of technology to faculty research endeavors. To ensure we are able to support your research computer, it must meet the following requirements:
- The computer's primary location should be on campus
- The computer must be joined to the Geneseo domain and comply with all network policies
- Operating systems should follow established CIT support guidelines and be properly licensed
- Antivirus software must be installed
- CIT staff should have necessary permissions on the computer
- Hardware support will only be provided for computers purchased from our current vendors (Dell, HP, and Apple)
SUNY Geneseo faculty and staff must consult with CIT before any research computer purchases.
Support Services Manager, Computing & Information Technology firstname.lastname@example.org
CIO & Director, Computing & Information Technology email@example.com