Before you Begin
- CrashPlan is available for Faculty and Staff only
- Each user is allowed up to 4 computers backing up an unlimited amount of data.
- Backups will occur when your computer is on campus or off campus and restores are available at any time as well.
- You can also access your backed up files via iOS or Android apps or via a web interface for restoring files.
Follow these instructions to install CrashPlan on your college owned Windows or macOS computer:
- Installation of CrashPlan can be done through the Managed Software Center App.
- From the Software tab within Managed Software Center, click on the Code42 CrashPlan icon to install.
- After installation, you will need to log out of your computer.
- Launch CrashPlan from the Application folder once you log back into your computer.
- By default CrashPlan will backup all users' home directories on your computer. If you have files stored outside of that directory or on external drives that you would like backed up, you will need to add those files to the backup.
- Installation of CrashPlan should be done through Software Center (Details on how to use Software Center is available here.
- Log onto your domain bound computer with their Geneseo account.
- When Applications are selected within Software center, Click to open the Code42 CrashPlan application.
- Cllick on the install button and CrashPlan will be installed.
- CrashPlan will automatically launch after installed and try to connect to the server
- sometimes a reboot is required if this step hangs.
- Launching CrashPlan from the C icon from the taskbar's hidden icons will prompt you to enter your email password to connect and start backing up your files.
By default CrashPlan backs up all users' home directories on your computer (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos). If you have files stored outside of that directory or on external drives that you would like backed up, you will need to add those files to the backup.
Personal Devices, macOS or Windows
To install CrashPlan on a non-domain bound computer, download and install the client for the computer on the Crashplan download website.
Adding Additional Targets
- You can add targets to be backed up by launching the CrashPlan application. Then, under the Backup tab, click the Change... button. Here you can select and deselect items to be backed up.
- Read this for more information on the backup process and how to add to the files selected for backup.
All of your data is encrypted with encryption keys stored locally on your computer and on a server on our campus and then sent over the internet to CrashPlan. CrashPlan cannot read or access your data.
You can restore files multiple ways using CrashPlan.
On the computer where you have CrashPlan installed, you can restore files by launching the CrashPlan application.
- Launch the CrashPlan application.
- Click the 'Restore' tab.
- Either use the search box to find the file(s) you want to restore or navigate to where the file(s) you want to restore are located.
- Click the check box next to the file(s) you want to restore.
- Click the 'Restore' button.
Web restores can be performed from our web appliance and following the instructions below.
You can also access your backed up files via iOS or Android apps.
Backing up Your Data — Basic guidelines for making a backup copy of your important files
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, visiting us in Milne Library, or visiting our online service desk.