Before You Start
If you want to change the Course Home Page to a custom page, you must first set the page as the Front Page. The Front Page is a designation that shows Canvas which page can be used for the Course Home Page. Use this page to show a welcome message, links, images, or other information for students. You can also include your Syllabus in an auto-open inline preview.
- Before setting the Front Page, the page must be published.
- Once you set a Front Page, you cannot remove the Front page. However, you can change the Front Page as much as you would like, or set another page as the Front Page.
- Before setting a Front page, the Pages link in Course Navigation will open to the Pages Index. However, once you have selected a Front Page, the Pages link will always open to the Front Page. To return to the Pages Index, click the View All Pages button.
- The Pages Front Page can also be set to display recent course announcements.
The basic steps to create and designate a home page are listed here. For more details, follow the instructions in the included Canvas Community links.
- Create a new page. This page will be used as your course's home page. (How do I create a new page in a course?)
- Include your desired content in the page.
- Upload and link to your Syllabus file. (How do I upload a PDF to a course?)
- Set the auto-open for inline preview of the syllabus. (How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files?)
- Place your cursor on the file link.
- Click the Link icon.
- Click the Auto-open the inline preview for this link checkbox. Click the Update Link button.
- Publish and Save the page.
- Designate the page as your Course Front Page. (How do I set a front page in a course?)
Related Self Help Guides
Creating a Home Page with Auto-open Syllabus Preview — The Course Home Page is the first view your students will see when they enter your course. For the Course Home Page, you can customize a page from your course Pages and have it display as the Course Home Page. You can also include your Syllabus in an auto-open inline preview.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide