The Course Home Page is the landing page every time you or a student enters the course. The default view for the home page is to display recent activity to students, however, you can customize the page with any of these additional options:
- Set the Home Page to the Front Page this is CIT's recommended practice!
- Allows you to display anything you wish such as documents, text, images or video.
- Has an option for including recent course Announcements at the top of the page.
- Be sure to include details on where students need to navigate to access course content.
- Set the Home Page to link to your Modules
- Allows students to enter directly to the course content
- Be sure your modules are organized and provide a clear indication of what you would like your students to do
- Set the Home Page as the Syllabus
- Allows students to keep track of upcoming assignments
- Allows students direct access to your course expectations and guidelines
Related Self Help Guides
myCourses to Canvas Translation Chart — This chart shows common features in myCourses (Angel), what those features are called in Canvas, and how they are different.
Geneseo Resources for OSCQR — The Open SUNY Course Quality Review (OSCQR) rubric is a customizable and flexible tool for online course quality review. This Geneseo guide highlights resources needed to ensure the standards are met in your courses.
Creating a Home Page with Auto-open Syllabus Preview — The Course Home Page is the first view your students will see when they enter your course. For the Course Home Page, you can customize a page from your course Pages and have it display as the Course Home Page. You can also include your Syllabus in an auto-open inline preview.
Re-open a Completed Course For a Subset of Students to Manage an Incomplete — Allow access to one student (or a small group) to complete work in a Canvas course after the semester has ended.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide