New Geneseo accounts have initial passwords that are expired - that is, our users must select a new password the first time they log into our services. All Geneseo account holders are required to change their password every 180 days.
How do I do it?
The easiest way for STUDENTS to change their Geneseo password is to visit my.geneseo.edu and select Change Password from the left navigation bar.
FACULTY and STAFF with domain-bound Windows and Mac OS computers should use their operating system's password changing option.
Selecting a new Password
- Your new password must contain at least 8 characters
- Your new password must contain 3 out of the 4 following character types:
- Uppercase characters
- Lowercase characters
- Special characters (for example: !, $, #, %)
- Your new password must not contain your username
- Your new password must not contain any parts of your full name
- Your new password must not match any of your previous 10 passwords
Updating Saved Passwords
- Canvas App
- Ellucian GO App
- Email client (campus-owned computer)
- Email client (personally-owned computer)
- Geneseo Network Printers
- Mac OS Keychain (See below)
- Smart Phone (Apple, Android, etc.)
- Tablets (iPad, etc.)
- Web browser
- Wireless network connection
Special Instructions for Updating your Mac OS Keychain
Follow these instructions to ensure that your Mac will continue to access Geneseo's wireless network.
- Navigate to the Applications --> Utilities folder and open "Keychain Access"
- In the left-hand navigation pane, select 'All Items' under 'Category'.
- Find the entry for "SUNY Geneseo" (it's the wireless network you should be connecting to) and delete the entry.
- Now turn your wireless connection off and on again. It should now ask for an updated password.
- Enter your new Geneseo password and you should now have access to the wireless network again.
Password Expiration Notifications
CIT has implemented an email reminder system that will send the following email when your password is about to expire:
As a reminder, CIT will never ask you for your password. Please contact the CIT HelpDesk at 585-245-5588 if you have any questions about the validity of this message.
Many Geneseo services will also give advance warning of password expiration dates and useful messages when a password has expired. The expiration warning ranges from 5-30 days depending on your operating system. CIT is gathering examples to complete this reference table.
CAS is our central authentication server for
myGeneseo, WebMail, and other services
|Login, Mac 10.6|
|Login, Mac 10.7 ( Lion ) & 10.8 (Mountain Lion )|
|Mail, Android 2.3.3|
Mail, Android 4.0.3
|Thunderbird ( Mac )||n/a|
|Thunderbird ( PC )||n/a|
|Wireless, Mac 10.6 to 10.8|
|Wireless, Windows 7 non-bound||N/A|
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, visiting us in Milne Library, or visiting our online service desk.