New Geneseo accounts have initial passwords that are expired - that is, our users must select a new password the first time they log into our services. Geneseo account holders who have not opted-in to MFA are required to change their password every 180 days.
How do I change my password?
The easiest way for STUDENTS to change their Geneseo password is to click the link above or login to https://myworkaccount.microsoft.com/ and select Change Password from the tiles.
FACULTY and STAFF with domain-bound Windows and macOS computers should use their operating system's password changing option.
If the above options won't work because you forgot your password
Selecting a new Password
- Your new password must contain at least 8 characters
- Your new password must contain 3 out of the 4 following character types:
- Uppercase characters
- Lowercase characters
- Special characters (for example: !, $, #, %)
- Your new password must not contain your username
- Your new password must not contain any parts of your full name
- Your new password must not match any of your previous 10 passwords
If you are enrolled in MFA there are no complexity requirements but your password must be at least 10 characters long.
We also have turned on Azure AD weak password protection which checks your password against a list of "weak" passwords and rejects it if it matches. You can read more about that here.
Updating Saved Passwords
- Canvas Student App
- Geneseo Mobile App
- Email client (Mail, Gmail, Thunderbird, Outlook)
- Network printers installed on macOS
- macOS Keychain (See below)
- Smart Phone (Apple, Android, etc.)
- Tablets (iPad, etc.)
- Web browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
- Wireless network connection
- VPN connection
Special Instructions for Updating your macOS Keychain
Follow these instructions to ensure that your Mac will continue to access Geneseo's wireless network (eduroam).
- Navigate to the Applications → Utilities folder and open "Keychain Access"
- In the left-hand navigation pane, select 'All Items' under 'Category'.
- Find the entry for "eduroam" (it's the wireless network you should be connecting to) and delete the entry.
- Now turn your wireless connection off and on again. It should now ask for an updated password.
- Enter your new Geneseo password and you should now have access to the wireless network again.
Password Expiration Notifications
Users who have not opted-in to MFA will still be required to reset their passwords every 180 days and will receive the following email message prior to expiration.
If you have not yet opted-in to MFA you may see password expiration warnings in other Geneseo services. A few examples are shown below.
CAS is our central authentication server for
myGeneseo, WebMail, and other services
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.