This software does require a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to function
This software is only available on the Microsoft Windows operating system. If you need access from another Operating System please try the Geneseo Virtual Computer Lab
Steps for Windows
Installing ArcGIS Desktop
- Download ArcGIS_Desktop_1081_175110.exe from software.geneseo.edu
- Once the file finishes downloading, navigate to your downloads folder and double click on ArcGIS_Desktop_1081_175110
- You will be prompted to select a destination folder to extract the installation files, click next
- When that completes, make sure the box for "Launch the setup program" is checked then click close
- If you are prompted with "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" click Yes
- On the "Welcome to the ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 Setup program" window, click Next
- Accept the master agreement by choosing "I accept" and click next
- Select the option for Complete, and click Next
- Accept the default Destination Folder and click Next
- Accept the default Python Destination Folder
- On the Ready to Install the Program screen, click install
- When the installation has finished you will see a Success message, click Finish to continue.
Installing the ArcGIS Desktop License
- Clicking Finish in the previous section should open the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard
- In the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard, under Section 1. Select a product, select the option for Advanced (ArcInfo) Concurrent Use
- Under Section 2. Define a License Manager for Concurrent Use products, select the option for Define a License Manager now:
- In the available field, type arcgislic.geneseo.edu, now click OK
- In the ArcGIS Administrator window click OK
- The Application should now be licensed
- ArcGIS Desktop will only be able to connect the license server if you have a working campus internet connection. If you are located off-campus, you must establish a VPN connection in order for ArcGIS Desktop to launch.
- ArcGIS Desktop is not available on macOS or Chromebook platforms, if you need access from one of those devices please try using the Geneseo Virtual Computer Lab
- If you encounter trouble licensing the product, close all open ArcGIS Desktop application then try launching the ArcGIS Administrator program from the Applications List using the Run as Administrator option seen when right clicking on the program from the start menu.
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.