To run Appworx on your PC, only Java version 8u151 will work. Appworx uses Java Web Start technology
If you are off campus and not connected to the SUNY Geneseo network via VPN you will need to establish a VPN Connection before continuing.
- Navigate to Software Center to select and install Oracle Java - 8u151 (Appworx) (Java 8 update 151 is also in Scott Graham's Outbox: \\files\outbox\CIT\graham)
From the Windows Search button or start menu, search for Configure Java and open it to view the Java Control Panel.
- When the Java Control Panel opens, select the Security tab, then click the button for Edit Site List…
- When the Exception Site List window opens, click the Add button and type in: http://banapp1.geneseo.edu:5050/APWXPROD/
- Then click OK
- When you get the warning "Including an HTTP Location on the Exception Site List is considered a security risk", click Continue
- The tab should now look like this:
- Click OK and close the Java Control Panel
You can now go to https://banner.geneseo.edu and click the Appworx button.
Firefox seems to be the easiest browser to launch AppWorx. Other browsers are starting to block Java jnlp files for security reasons.
If you are using Firefox:
- It may ask how to open the file Client.jnlp; open the file with Java Webstart (javaws.exe). Go to step 11.
- It may just download the file Client.jnlp
- If you are using Chrome, it will not launch AppWorx from the AppWorx button in Banner. You should visit https://appworx.geneseo.edu and then save the Client.jnlp (download it to your desktop). You can double click the Client.jnlp file to launch appworx.
If you did download the Client.jnlp file, navigate to it, double-click on it and it should open with javaws.exe.
- You may receive the following warning. Check the box for Do not ask again until the next update is available, then click Later.
- Appworx will now being to download and install.
- You may receive an additional security warning. Check the box for I accept the risk and want to run this application, then click Run.
You will eventually be presented with an Appworx login window.
The following directions for the shortcut creation may not work in Windows 10, but if the Client.jnlp file is put on the desktop, it can be used like the shortcut. And the user will not need to download the file from the Appworx link on https://banner.geneseo.edu page.
Once you have logged into Appworx, you can go into the Java Control Panel again to create a desktop shortcut to it.
- Again open the Java Control Panel and in the General tab, click on the View… button from the Temporary Internet Files section.
- A Java Cache Viewer window will appear, and should have the APWXPROD listed under the Application column.
- Highlight this application and then click on the shortcut icon in this window’s toolbar. This will create a shortcut on your desktop that can be used to open the Appworx sign in window without needing to continually download the Client.jnlp file from https://banner.geneseo.edu/
For questions, contact the CIT HelpDesk by calling (585) 245-5588, or visiting our online service desk.