You should not add students to your class rosters — when they register for your course, they will be added to the Canvas course. Updates to course enrollment occur every two hours.
In the past, some students have believed they were enrolled a course because they had access to the course through a manual addition. Students must go through the regular registration process to join your course.
- Enter People from your course's left-hand menu
- In the top right click on
- If your course is concluded or past the term it was assigned to, people cannot be added. Please contact the Canvas support team for options.
- Enter the email address of the person you would like to add in the box provided. You can also add by Login ID, which is also their email address, or you can add by SIS ID, which is their GID number.
Make sure you change the role from Student to the appropriate role you wish that person to have in your course. Roles and Permissions for SUNY Geneseo.pdf lists the permissions associated with each Canvas Role.
- Click the Next button to review the users you are adding to your course.
- If you're satisfied with the users you are adding, click the Add Users button. If you have made an error, click the Start Over button.
Adding External People
Recent changes to our authentication service has made it impossible for Teachers to add non-Geneseo addresses to their course. Please submit a JIRA request and a Canvas admin can make the addition for you.
Please be advised that external users must access Canvas by logging into https://geneseo.instructure.com/login/canvas.
Related Self Help Guides
myCourses to Canvas Translation Chart — This chart shows common features in myCourses (Angel), what those features are called in Canvas, and how they are different.
Geneseo Resources for OSCQR — The Open SUNY Course Quality Review (OSCQR) rubric is a customizable and flexible tool for online course quality review. This Geneseo guide highlights resources needed to ensure the standards are met in your courses.
Creating a Home Page with Auto-open Syllabus Preview — The Course Home Page is the first view your students will see when they enter your course. For the Course Home Page, you can customize a page from your course Pages and have it display as the Course Home Page. You can also include your Syllabus in an auto-open inline preview.
Re-open a Completed Course For a Subset of Students to Manage an Incomplete — Allow access to one student (or a small group) to complete work in a Canvas course after the semester has ended.
For tips, tricks, and updates on learning technologies at Geneseo, visit our Educational Technology Chat. To explore Canvas Guides (created by Instructure), visit https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/canvas-guide