Self Help - Adding a Network Printer for Mac
Close all open applications before installing a new printer
Physically locate the printer you want to print to. There is a label on all Geneseo network printers that gives you the name you'll need to install that printer. Note the name of the printer. You will need it to install the printer on your computer.
Mac OS 10.7, 10.8,10.9, and 10.10 (If your Mac is NOT joined to the Geneseo Domain):
(see below for earlier OS versions)
The easiest way to print to campus printers is to use our printer package to add the gPrint queue. Download it here.
For more information on gPrint visit
- Click on System Preferences -> Print & Scan (or Printers and Scanners in Mac OS 10.9 & 10.10), click the Add button (+) (you may also see and need to choose 'Add Other Printer or Scanner' if this is your first time adding a printer.)
- Click on 'Advanced' in the toolbar. If you do not have the 'Advanced' gear icon, control click (push the control button on your keyboard and click with your mouse) on the toolbar, select 'Customize Toolbar...', and drag the 'Advanced' gear icon to the toolbar. Click on the 'Done' button to close the window.
- For Type: select 'Windows printer via spoolss'.
- For Device: select 'Another Device'.
- Enter the following in the URL field: smb://printers.w2k.geneseo.edu/<printername>, replacing <printername> with the queue name for the printers you want to install (e.g. South225Color).
- For the Printer Model, click on the drop down menu called 'Print Using' or 'Use', choose 'Select Printer Software...', select the Printer Manufacturer and specific model from the list, then click on 'OK'.
Note: If the driver is not listed (Toshiba printers), you will need to download the driver from the manufacturer's website. Install the driver, restart your computer, and then start over from Step 1. The gPrint queue uses the Generic Postscript Driver.
- Click the 'Add' button.
- You may have to choose specific options for your printer before it adds it to your Printers list. Click on 'OK' again.
If nothing seems to print out, check the dock for a printer icon. Click the printer icon, and if the print job is listed as "On Hold - Authentication Required", it will need to be released and will prompt for credentials. Be sure to change your full name to just your Geneseo username.
Mac OS 10.7, 10.8,10.9, and 10.10 (If your Mac IS JOINED to the Geneseo Domain):
- Click on System Preferences -> Print & Scan (or Printers & Scanners in Mac OS 10.9 & 10.10).
- Click on the 'padlock' icon in the lower left if it is locked and type in your admin username and password to unlock it.
- Click the Add button (+) (you may also see and need to choose 'Add Other Printer or Scanner' if this is your first time adding a printer.)
- Click on the 'Default' icon at the top (it should be selected by default).
- Find and click on the name of your printer in the list (the name on the sticker that CIT put on your printer - ie: Newton127a).
- It should put the specific driver name in the 'Print Using' or 'Use' field automatically. If not, click on the drop down menu called 'Print Using', choose 'Select Printer Software...', select the Printer Manufacturer and specific model from the list. Click on the 'OK' button.
- Click the 'Add' button.
Note: If you are adding a Toshiba MFD and wish to use the additional hardware features such as stapling or hole punch, you will need to use the appropriate Toshiba X7 USA driver. Most other devices can just use the Generic Postscript Driver. The gPrint queue uses the Generic Postscript Driver.
- You may have to choose specific options for your printer before it adds it to your Printers list.
Note: When adding a Toshiba MFD with the Toshiba X7 USA driver, you will need to manually configure the printer's options. They will not automatically populate, this is a limitation of the driver.
Duplexing saves paper and money!
We encourage you to use duplexing whenever it is available. It saves on paper usage and saves you money at the rate of 25% per page (e.g. 2 regular black and white pages cost 20 cents while 2 pages printed duplex only costs 15 cents).
Duplexing setup instructions:
- From the document that you want to print go to: File -> Print.
- Next to Printer, select the printer that offers duplexing.
- Next to Copies, enter the number of copies you want and check the box next to 'Two-Sided'.
- Click 'Print'.
Students, be sure to check your printer account balance! To do so go to: http://printers.geneseo.edu
For questions about adding a network printer, contact the CIT HelpDesk. Stop by Milne Library, send email to email@example.com or call (585) 245-5588.