|B.A in Biology (Curriculum Map)|
B.S. in Biology (Curriculum Map)
B.A. in BIology, Adolescence Education:Biology & General Science (Curriculum Map)
B.S. in Biophysics (Curriculum Map)
Learning Outcomes in Biology
1. Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Students will have the knowledge base and intellectual (conceptual) framework to use reasoning and problem-solving skills to: (1) read critically; (2) evaluate support for competing hypotheses; and (3) critique experimental design.
2. Laboratory Inquiry and Technique
Students will have the laboratory and inquiry skills and technical ability to formulate hypotheses, design and run experiments using instruments to test their hypotheses, and analyze and interpret the results. They will be able to build on earlier work to design further experiments.
Students will be able to communicate biological ideas from literature or their own laboratory investigations to audiences of biologists and non biologists in a variety of formats including written reports, poster and oral presentations.
4. Attitudes and Personal and Professional Development
Students will recognize the importance of scientific integrity and ethical research and applications of biology to science policy. They will be able to work independently and in teams for life long learning.
5. Students will be able to demonstrate a broad and diverse background in biology and related sciences and a strong foundation for graduate and professional programs of study or employment.
6. Students will recognize evolution as the central tenet of biology which explains the unity and diversity of life and interrelatedness of levels of biological organization.