We are eager to help students stay at Geneseo and complete their degrees here, but some students do choose to attend a different college.  You may fiind it useful to share these resources with your advisees who ask about transferring to another college.

Requesting transcripts is done online: https://www.geneseo.edu/registrar/transcript-information.  There is a small fee.  Students (especially first year students like Emily) should make sure to mark their requests to "hold for this semester's grades" or the transcripts will go out showing "in progress" courses with no grades; they are not automatically updated and students will need to re-order after grades are posted.

Once a student is sure they are leaving Geneseo (a transfer student would wait until they are admitted to another college and have deposited) the student must officially "withdraw" from Geneseo.  They should start with this Enrollment Management website: https://www.geneseo.edu/enrollment-management/leave-absence-or-withdrawal.  On that website they are directed to request a withdrawal by writing to the Enrollment Specialist, through this email: loa-withdrawal@geneseo.edu

The Leave of Absence/Withdrawal website is especially helpful, with reminders about people and offices to contact.  

Students who just want to "stop out" to take a semester at another college (e.g., stay home and attend community college) may take a leave of absence rather than withdraw from the college if they have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.  Students with lower GPAs and documented medical conditions can apply for a "medical leave of absence."

  • No labels