WHAT IS HANDSHAKE (HS)? One of the fastest-growing national job platforms specifically designed for students seeking a range of employment. It connects 900 colleges and universities with a mix of 500,000 employers (Start-ups to 100% of the Fortune 500) and showcases over 5 M student profiles. Founded in 2014 by 3 engineering students at Michigan Technological University to give students access to a larger number of potential employers.
WHAT VALUE DOES IT OFFER?
- Increases your chance of being recruited by employers searching for applicants like you. *If the opportunity appears in your feed, it presupposes the organization is interested in reviewing Geneseo student applications.
- It provides you with an opportunity to customize your job search based on a range of filters such as your major, interests, skills, job type, and desired locations. Tailors opportunities that are sent to you based on your profile and your reactions to postings.
- Offers resources via its student blogs and videos. Receive insights on a range of employment topics. HS also offers virtual events via the Events tab (i.e. Under Armour).
- Offers an opportunity to apply for openings directly via Handshake.
- Increases confidence in the legitimacy of the posting as they are vetted by the CD team. Students are encouraged to conduct due diligence as it relates to postings.
- Activate your login, select School: Geneseo, Login: use your GENESEO email address.
- The link is also found on the Geneseo Career Development homepage
UPDATE YOUR PROFILE TO REPRESENT YOUR BEST SELF AND INCREASE EMPLOYER INTEREST:
We encourage you to fully complete your profile and to make it public. (*i.e. 80% of students that share “Interests” information receive a message from an employer.) Please note, you always have control over when and how you appear to employers. Only students that have specifically opted-in to having a public profile can be searched for and messaged by an employer. If a student has applied to a job, they can also be messaged by that employer via their application.
- Add a professional profile picture: headshot only, in professional dress, without distractions in the background, and smile.
- Decide if you would like employers to see your GPA. You may keep it locked (default) or unlock it. Employers often use this as a search filter so unlock it if it will improve your marketability.
- Education: Check accuracy of class, graduation year, GPA, and degree. (*HS may categorize a sophomore as a junior based on AP credits.) We are unable to edit your class level but please let us know if the other data points are inaccurate.
- Experience, Organizations/Extracurricular, Courses, Projects, “Get to Know Me”, Skills, and Social Links: Complete all sections.
- Documents tab: you may add cover letters and resumes to your profile to more easily upload required application information. Please note visibility settings (i.e. o on profile visible) as appropriate. Do not showcase multiple resumes.
- Email: Your email is not visible and cannot be made public. Employers, however, may message you directly (note alerts in your Geneseo email).
JOB SEARCH TAB:
- Review and use basic and advanced filters to search for opportunities you may be interested in including keywords, locations, and job types.
- “Star” your favorite jobs to improve the relevancy of the jobs sent to your profile.
EVENTS, Q&A, STUDENTS, AND MESSAGING TABS: Explore.
CAREER CENTER TAB:
- Introduces the Geneseo Career Development department and team.
- Schedule an Appointment: select the “Schedule an Appointment” link and select the category, “Schedule an Appointment”, select the Advisor, and his/her/their appointment openings will appear. (Use the arrow key to move forward if no openings appear.) Enter your name in an appointment time that works for you, preferably 24 hours in advance. The advisor will send you an email to offer virtual meeting options.
- Please reach out directly to any of the CD team with questions or feedback.